Spicy Lemon Butter Cookies

Hello cookies! Long time no see. But here I am redeeming myself for the fault. I think I can be forgiven with this butter cookies. I’m sorry, I can’t speak much, you see… those six up there just landed in my mouth… right now… excuse me a minute… or two.

Ah, feeling better. The main ingredients of this round cuties are the obvious butter, lemon zest, pure vanilla extract and a nice spicy flavor with the addition of cinnamon and nutmeg. Unpretentious but charming.

These are the supreme cookies for tea time. Green, white, oolong, black or herbal tea, any selection will match perfectly.

This recipe makes about 30 cookies. Can you guess how many are left at the end of the day?

Spicy Lemon Butter Cookies (adapted from McCormick recipe)

Preparation time: 15 minutes + 1 hour or overnight in the fridge

Cook time: 12 minutes

Makes about 30 cookies

Note: To bake the dough all at once, you’ll need 2 baking sheets

1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened (better results with European style butter)

1 cup sugar

pinch of salt

1 egg

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp lemon zest

2 cups unbleached flour

Beat butter, sugar, salt, egg, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon zest in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour on low-speed until well mixed. Refrigerate 1 hour. Alternatively, you can shape the dough into a log and wrap in a parchment paper before putting in the fridge.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls or, in case you have made a log, slice the dough. Place on ungreased baking sheets.  Flatten with a fork.

Bake 12 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute. Remove to wire racks; cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

, , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to Spicy Lemon Butter Cookies

1. Belinda @zomppa March 24, 2011 at 12:08 pm #

Hello cookies is right!! Boy these look good.

2. Meg March 24, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

These sound delicious — I love simple cookies! I’d take one like this over a crazy chocolate-chip-laced one any day. Thanks for sharing!

3. megan @ whatmegansmaking March 24, 2011 at 3:44 pm #

These look perfect for an upcoming wedding I’m going to this summer! I offered to make cookies for the cookie table and these would be great!

4. Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) March 24, 2011 at 7:29 pm #

What pretty cookies, and I love the simplicity of the ingredients. Sometimes the tastiest foods are made of the mots basic ingredients. Thanks for sharing.

5. Elle March 28, 2011 at 12:20 pm #

So pretty! I love lemon butter cookies-there’s something so simple, yet elegant about them.

6. carolinaheartstrings March 28, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

This is a must try recipe. I love lemon!!!!!

7. megan @ whatmegansmaking May 11, 2011 at 9:05 am #

I was just looking for some lemon cookies to go with some lemon mousse I just made – these sound perfect!

8. Lorena August 14, 2011 at 3:00 am #

I was wondering (before i make them) if I can spread the dough flat and use cookie cutters? my kids love their little animals and flowers :)

• thatshowiroll August 14, 2011 at 8:11 am #

I think it won’t be any problem and your kids will keep loving their cute animal and flowers cookies. ;)

9. Reese@SeasonwithSpice October 27, 2011 at 10:15 pm #

Teresa – those butter cookies are really dangerous for someone like me who have zero willpower for good stuff. Lovely recipe and highly adaptable for sure!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Improvising: Almond lemon butter cookies | write meg! - April 8, 2011

[...] bragging about my well-stocked kitchen on Twitter, I settled in to bake Spicy Lemon Butter Cookies — a long-standing recipe in my “to be baked” folder — only to discover . . [...]