Lentils are one of my favorites sources of protein. Considered one of the world’s healthiest food (made it to the top five in Health magazine), is a great source of iron, vitamin, dietary fiber, folate and potassium.
Red lentils have a lower concentration of fiber than the green counterpart, but I love those especially to enrich soups and pastas because of the extra creamy texture it adds to the dishes.
Besides, when it’s mixed with other grains, like rice, turns into a complete protein dish that we should not underestimate.
In this recipe I used organic green lentils and soaked them in water four hours before cooking.
Another ingredient I pick for this recipe was this powerful antioxidant kale, very high in beta-carotene, vitamins C and K, lutein and calcium.
So, together with other vegetables and a pretty colorful galletti pasta, you can see this will be a super food plate.
This dish can also be cooked altogether, in which the pasta benefits from the thick lentil cream. This time I cooked separately, but with water from the vegetable mix. That way I was able to mount the plate by layers.
First, a soft bed of lentils and vegetables.
The same lentil base is also good with rice. Here it is one example served with a jasmine coconut rice. Recipe at bottom.
- 2 cups of lentils (pre-soaked in water 4 hours)
- 6 carrots
- 1 large bunch kale
- 1 large sweet onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 zucchini
- 2 cups of six color galletti or other macaroni pasta
- 3 tsp of salt, divided
- 1 Tbsp parsley flakes
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning herbs
- Soak the lentils in water 4 hours before cooking.
- In a large pan, bring enough water to cover the lentils to a boil and add to the lentils the previously chopped ingredients: carrots, kale, onion, garlic and zucchini.
- Add the salt, parsley and italian herbs and let it cook 30 minutes in medium heat.
- In another pan, bring water and salt to boil, add the pasta and let it cook until al dente, around 6 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and add olive oil.
- Serve the lentils and vegetables with pasta on top and pour some grated parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 5 Tbsp canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp parsley flakes
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Rinse and drain the rice.
- Combine the rice with water, coconut milk, salt, garlic and parsley in a large saucepan.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let rice stand, covered, 5 minutes before serving.